1. Before use carefully examine the device. Replace immediately if any defect is noticed. Always ensure the Resistance Indicator is positioned as prescribed by your healthcare professional. Gently press the two halves together to make sure the Attachment Tabs are engaged.
2. Although the Aerobika® OPEP is orientation independent, it is recommended that treatments be done in a comfortably seated position.
3. Put the mouthpiece in mouth and close lips around it to ensure an effective seal. Make sure your hand does not block the exhalation path on the back of the device.
4. Inhale through the device taking a deeper breath than normal, but do no totally fill your lungs. Hold your breath for 2-3 seconds before exhaling.
5. Exhale actively, but not forcefully, through the device. Ideally, exhalation should last 3-4 times longer than it took you to breathe in. Keep your cheeks flat and firm to maximize treatment effectiveness. Ensure you maintain a good seal on the mouthpiece for the duration of your treatment.
6. Continue taking deep breaths and long exhalations for 10-20 breaths, or as instructed by your healthcare professional. After at least 10 breaths, perform 2-3 ‘huff’ coughs to clear your airways. Your healthcare professional will instruct you on the proper technique. For maximum efficacy, try to suppress coughing until the end of your treatment.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 for 10-20 minutes or as prescribed by your healthcare professional. The entire procedure should be performed at least twice a day on a regular basis, and increased to 3-4 times per day if you are producing a lot of mucus.
8. The goal is to keep your lungs clear and ventilatory capacity up. Continue to use your treatments on a regular basis even if you are bringing up just a little mucus.
Caution – if you feel dizzy or lightheaded, or have any other discomfort during treatment, discontinue therapy and contact your physician or healthcare provider.
These are abbreviated instructions for use, please remember to read the complete instructions that are packaged with your Aerobika® OPEP Therapy System.