Aerobika® Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure (OPEP) Therapy System
What is an Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure Therapy System
An Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure Therapy System or OPEP device is designed to aid in the loosening and removal of mucus build-up in the lungs. You may need OPEP treatments if you have a lung disease such as cystic fibrosis or COPD where your lungs need help keeping up with the amount of mucus produced each day. OPEP therapy is done by inhaling and exhaling through the device several times, then ‘huff coughing’ to remove the loosened mucus.
How does OPEP work?
When you exhale through the device, you will feel very quick pulses of resistance against your exhaled breath. These pulses of resistance hold your airways open and help shake the excess mucus loose, pushing it out of the smaller airways of your lungs. Once the mucus has moved out of the smaller airways, it can then be coughed out. If you have nebulizer treatments, your healthcare professional may even opt to combine them with your OPEP therapy to help reduce the overall time for your treatments!
- Improves ease of bringing up sputum and improves lung function
- Aids in lung hygiene and helps prevent infection
- Reduces overall therapy time
- Easy to clean, disinfect and dishwasher safe
- Lightweight, ergonomic design fits comfortably in the hand
- Easy to learn for independent use
- Little interruption to daily living
Aerobika® Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure (OPEP) Therapy System (English)